In this article, we’re going to give you an overview of Edge Hill University and the medicine courses it offers which require UCAT for admission.
An overview of Edge Hill University
Edge Hill University was established in 1885 and currently has over 15,000 students enrolled. the University currently has three faculties with a number of schools in each faculty.
The Edge Hill University Medical School is one of the newest extensions of the University and will start the medicine program from September 2020.
- NOTE: The University is still in the process of gaining accreditation from GMC for the program and until that has occurred (only possible at the graduation of the first cohort) the Medical School at the University of Liverpool will act as the contingency school.
- NOTE: The Medical School does not accept international students.
Students at Edge Hill can live in one of the eight residence halls on campus. These include:
Edge Hill has over 70 clubs and societies (including Cheerleading, Harry Potter, and Murder Mystery), live theatre shows (such as 100% Simon Brodkin and Christmas Carols), themed bar and club nights (such as Fun House Monday and SU Saturdays), karaoke, and a range of sporting facilities (including Aerobics Studio, tennis and netball courts).
NOTE: As the Medical School has not begun teaching an undergraduate course as of 2019, these rankings do not indicate the quality of the Medical School. They are the holistic rankings of the University.
|Times Higher Ed Rank||QS rankings||Academic Ranking of World Universities|
Edge Hill University Medical Courses offered that require UCAT
|Medical Course||Course Code||Entry Requirements||Length of Course||Campus Taught|
|Bachelor of Medicine||A100||Academic Requirements: |
- NA- International Students are currently not accepted.
- A minimum of 5 GCSEs at grade B/ grade 6 completed at the time of application
- Minimum AAA grades are required at A-level
IB (International Baccalaureate):
- A minimum of 36 points overall
- Highers: A minimum grade of AAAAB taken in a single sitting
- Advanced Highers: A grade of AAA
- GCSEs must include:
- English Language
- NOTE: GCSE double science is accepted at grade B/ grade 6 is accepted in lieu of Biology and Chemistry.
- A-levels must include:
- NOTE: a pass in the practical component for both these subjects are compulsory
- A third A-level subject of choice
- A-levels in General Studies, Critical Reasoning, Citizenship, and Key Skills is not accepted
- NOTE: If you achieve A* in Biology and/or Chemistry, the third subject will be accepted at grade B.
- Three subjects at Higher Level which must include:
- At least 6 points in Biology
- At least 6 points in Chemistry
- Three subjects at Standard Level with a minimum of 5 points each
- Highers: Must include:
- Advanced Highers: Must include:
- The application procedure has 3 stages. These are:
- Stage 1: Meet the minimum academic requirement
- Stage 2: Ranking based on UCAT score
- Stage 3: Interview
- NOTE: All applications must be made through UCAS- direct applications to the school are not accepted.
Re-application and re-sits:
- Applicants who did not receive an offer are able to apply again the following year as long as they meet the entry requirements.
- Re-sits for GCSEs and A-Levels are accepted.
- A new UCAT threshold will be set each year depending on the number of interviews to be held.
- The university has not outlined an estimate threshold score.
- Applicants who have a Band 4 in the Situational Judgement Test will be rejected.
- Students must submit a personal statement although it won’t be assessed in the first stage of the application.
Interview Criteria and structure:
There are a total of 15-30 places available in the program.
- Criteria: The interview assesses:
- Understanding and motivation to study medicine
- Communication skills
- Integrity/ probity
- Teamwork/ leadership skills
- Empathy and compassion
- Awareness of current health challenges
- Ethical awareness
- Awareness of self and others
- Prioritisation and decision-making skills
- Interpretation of data.
- The interview will be structured as Multiple Mini Interviews.
- Students will be ranked based on their overall interview score before offers are made.
- Borderline applicants will be distinguished based on personal statements and references.
- A reservation list will be created in-case places open up in August for the medicine program.
- Students who meet requirements for the Widening Participation Scheme can apply through the Access to medicine program which is 6-years in length.
- NOTE: Students from this scheme who have the top 200 UCAT scores of applicants for Edge Hill will automatically be invited for an interview.
|5 Years Full-Time||Edge Hill University|