This article explains the requirements, clinical placement opportunities and rankings of James Cook University’s Medicine and Dentistry degrees — find out what they have to offer and what you need in terms of academic achievements, UCAT results and work experience!
In this article on James Cook University,
Established in 1961, James Cook University is the second oldest university in Queensland. It’s a public research university that is known for its commitment to rural and remote health and provides its students a multitude of opportunities to explore rural medicine. One of the interesting things about JCU’s undergraduate medicine degree is that it does not require UCAT! We’ll discuss what they actually look for instead.
|Times Higher Ed Rank||QS rankings||Academic Ranking of World Universities|
Need a UCAT Cheatsheet?
Before you get into uni, you need to crush the UCAT. Downloading our FREE UCAT Cheatsheet is your first step to campus.
James Cook University medical courses
|72010||6 Years Full-time||Townsville|
- The lowest ATAR of a successful applicant in 2021 was 87.50
- English (Units 3/4,C), Mathematical Methods (Units 3/4,C), Chemistry (Units 3/4,C)
- UCAT scores are NOT considered for entry into JCU’s medical program.
JCU application form:
- Applicants need to complete a written application form exclusive to JCU. You can find the form on this page.
- Please note that JCU also provides a Prediction of Academic Achievement Form (PAA Form). To complete this form, you will need to ask an eligible staff member at your high school to estimate your Year 12 results along with their full name, position, contact details, school details and signature. You can also find this form on this page. This form is NOT compulsory, but is used to offer early interviews to candidates before your ATAR/equivalent results are released. If you do not submit this form, or your predicted results are not competitive enough, you will be considered for a second round interview based on your actual results when they are released.
Interview Criteria and Structure:
- The interviews for 2022 entry will be held over Zoom.
- You will be interviewed by a panel of three interviewers which typically consist of a medical doctor, an academic and a community member. They will have a score sheet to record your performance in the interview.
- JCU places a strong emphasis on rural medicine. It is expected that applicants aspire to improve the health of regional, rural, remote and Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities. This commitment should be evident in your written application form.
Clinical placement information
According for JCU’s website, their medical course “has one of the highest number of placement hours of any course in Australia”. They aim to produce graduates who are prepared for the realities and challenges of work life.
In years 2, 4, 5 and 6, students will have the option to attend rural or remote placements. Past students have said that they were able to perform and experience a greater range of activities on rural or remote placements because there are less students per consultant.
Associate teaching hospitals and partners
- Townsville University Hospital
- Ayr hospital
- Bowen hospital
- Cairns Hospital
- Mackay Base Hospital
- Mount Isa Hospital
- Gidgee Healing
- Cloncurry Hospital
- Emerald Hospital
- Normanton Hospital
- Weipa Hospital
- Winton Hospital
- Longreach Hospital
- Barcaldine Hospital
- Blackall Hospital