In this article, we’re going to give you an overview of the University of Otago and the medicine courses it offers which require UCAT for admission.
An Overview of The University of Otago
The University of Otago, Dunedin, was established in 1869 and New Zealand’s oldest university. Currently, over 21,000 students attend the university.
The University is a residential university where 85% of students come from outside Dunedin and the majority of the students live in a 1km radius of the campus. There are 15 residential colleges on campus and many private accommodation options nearby.
The University is close to the city centre, has a massive focus on cultural, social and sporting facilities.
There’s a large number of support networks available on campus as well.
|Times Higher Ed Rank||QS rankings||Academic Ranking of World Universities|
University of Otago Medical Courses Offered that require UCAT
The University offers entry into Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery and Bachelor of Dental Surgery.
The following table outlines the courses offered, its specifics, and entry requirements such as UCAT score:
|Medical Courses||Course Code ||Entry Requirements||Length of course||Campus taught|
|Bachelor of Medicine/ Bachelor of Surgery||Entry Requirements:|
Students must complete the Health Science First year course at the university before being able to apply for the medicine program. Applicants must then do the UCAT as well and recieve exceptional marks in health science.
Categories for Admission:
There are 3 different categories of admission. These are:
- The Health Science First Year category: You are required to get over 70% in each course and have a current UCAT result.
- The Graduate category: Complete a bachelor’s degree and have a UCAT result.
- The Alternative category: Those who have professional health experience can apply through this category.
- 282 places are available for domestic students. Out of these places, 55 are reserved for students applying under the New Zealand Rural origins sub-category.
|6 years full-time||Dunedin|
|Bachelor of Dental Surgery||Entry requirements and category for admission:|
The same procedure and requirements as the medicine program apply for entry into BDS.
- 60 places are available for domestic students in this course.
|5 years full-time||Dunedin|